NIOSH-Approved Spirometry Refresher Course Requirements
- Complete an eligibility questionnaire (enter your email address below) to determine whether you qualify to take this course. You must also submit a copy of your original or latest NIOSH-Approved Course certificate. (We suugest that you send certificates for all NIOSH-approved courses that you have completed to be certain that you are eligible for the Refresher Course.) Once enrolled in the course you must complete the following items 2 through 5.
- Complete a set of 30 pre-course questions.
- Complete ten chapters of on-line material and answer all questions after each completed chapter, getting at least 70% of the answers correct. The chapters can be completed and saved allowing you to proceed through the course at your own pace
- Pass the 50-question post-course exam with a grade of 70% or better.
- Within 30 days of completion of the post-course exam, you must submit, via fax, email or mail, 10 good quality spirometry test results (graphs must be included) performed using your spirometry equipment.
Upon completion of the above requirements, the course director will review the above answers and submitted spirometry tests results to determine if you qualify to receive a certification of course completion. At a minimum, you must have answered all of the 94 chapter ending questions and achieved a grade of 70% or better on both the chapter questions and the 50 question post-course exam.
After course completion, you must also have submitted at least 10 good quality spirometry test results. Additional spirometry test results may be required if the original submission does not include 10 good quality tests.
The course director will provide you with a summary assessment of your strength and weaknesses based on the information provided in items 2 through 5 above, and your certificate of completion of a NIOSH-approved spirometry course will be extended by 5-years.
The web-based course consists of the following chapter topics.
Chapter 1 - Overview of Pulmonary Anatomy and Physiology
Chapter 2 - Overview of Spirometry
Chapter 3 - Quality Assurance Procedures
Chapter 4 - Spirometric Technique
Chapter 5 - Basic Spirometric Calculations
Chapter 6 - Comparison of Observed to Predicted Reference Values
Chapter 7 - Evaluating Changes in Follow-Up Spirograms
Chapter 8 - Overview of Standards for Spirometry Equipment
Chapter 9 - Examples and Exercises
Chapter 10 - Additional Exercises
You must also agree to a Licensing Agreement before proceeding with the course.
Enter your e-mail address below and click Apply to determine if you qualify for the NIOSH refresher course